Google My Business (20min commitment) Google My Business (20min commitment)
For multinationals and online providers, this may be less relevant, but for businesses that either have a very local approach to business or have a need to have a recognisable and public physical location, Google My Business is not only essential, but inexcusably easy.
A million benefits. Here are three:
- You can start to build a review base which can not only influence your google listing results but also position your business against competing businesses that may have fewer reviews or a lower overall rating.
- You will appear on Google Map searches which is useful if someone is either searching for a service like yours in your area, or if they are using voice search for navigation.
- You are more likely to appear in local 3-pack listings for when someone searches for services like yours in your area.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to www.google.com/business. If you have a Google account, log in. If you do not, create one.
- Once logged in, you will be asked to enter your business. When you do, business listings will appear. If your business is one of them, click on that listing. If not, choose the first option (Create a business with this name).
- Click the blue Next button.
- In the business category field, start typing your industry category. As you type, suggested categories will appear. Select the most appropriate.
- You will then be asked if you want to add a location that customers can visit. Make the appropriate choice and press the blue Next button.
- You will now be asked to list your street address or operating region. As a minimum you will be required to choose a country.
- You will then be asked for your web address and phone number.
- The last step is to provide a physical address so that Google can send you a postcard with a security code on it. That security code is used to validate the Google My Business listing. Note: Sometimes the postcard process goes a bit sideways (and may not show up). We have found that if the postcard takes longer than it should to arrive, Google will validate your address via a video call if you keep chasing them.
These are the mandatory steps to set up your Google My Business listing. Ideally, populate the whole listing profile with up to date content about your business. But either way, you now have a Google My Business listing and can start accruing online reviews and feature in search suggestions.
If you do not have the time or generally don’t like doing these kinds of tasks, drop us a line . We will sort it out for you at no charge.